Use the following steps to apply for undergraduate programs. You will find links to application and document deadlines within the steps.
CHOOSE YOUR PROGRAM
Use our programs database to choose from over 200 undergraduate program options across 18 faculties.
The database contains admission requirements and application deadlines by program.
You can list up to two preferred programs in your application, so be sure to explore your options.
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Applications for Fall 2015 will be accepted beginning on October 1, 2014.
Applying online is quickest and easiest. Alternatively, you can download and complete a paper application.
- $125 for undergraduate students new to the University
- $75 for current or former UAlberta undergraduate students (including those from Augustana)
The application fee is payable online by Visa or Mastercard only.
Your credit card transaction receipt will be sent to you within minutes of submitting payment. This email confirms the successful submission of your application.
- Be sure to use your full legal name (as it appears in your passport).
- You can submit your application and then send your documents later, as long as your application and documents are submitted by the appropriate deadlines.
- Include your personal email address on your application form. (You will need to validate your email as part of the application process.)
Download Paper Application
TRACK YOUR APPLICATION
If you apply online, you will receive important information from UAlberta by email within 48 hours of submitting your application. You will receive:
- a seven-digit UAlberta ID number. Include this with any correspondence about your application.
- a Campus Computing ID (CCID) and password; you will use these to access Bear Tracks, where you can track the status of your application
- login information for your UAlberta webmail account (@ualberta.ca); this is your personal email account with the University and will become our main source for sending you information. You are required to check this account regularly for communications.
SUBMIT DOCUMENTS FOR ADMISSION CONSIDERATION
Beginning in late Fall, your application will be evaluated for Admission if we receive the necessary documentation.
EXPLORE SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
UAlberta provides international students with exceptional financial rewards for academic and extracurricular achievements.
We award more than $25 million in undergraduate scholarships each year!
For some scholarships, you will be considered automatically when you apply for undergraduate admission.
For others, you will need to complete a separate application form and fulfill other requirements, such as providing an essay and a letter of recommendation.
APPLY FOR HOUSING
All international students who apply for housing before April 30 are guaranteed a space in one of our residences for their first year.
Your housing application is separate from your application for admission. You can submit your housing application after you have applied for admission and obtained your seven-digit UAlberta ID number.
Living on campus is a great option for international students. There are several residence community options available.
If you have a preference for a particular residence community, make sure you apply as early as possible—starting as early as October 1.
There is a CAD $25 application fee for housing.
APPLY FOR YOUR STUDY PERMIT
In order to study in Canada, you will require a study permit. UAlberta does not issue study permits - you must apply for a student visa at your local Visa Application Centre (VAC). Find your local VAC
You can use your Letter of Admission to start your study permit application.
Study permit application processing time can take up to three months to complete, so you should start well in advance of your program start date. All visa applications must include the University of Alberta Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number. University of Alberta DLI #: O19257171832.
NOTE: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has introduced new regulations for international students effective June 1, 2014. Learn more
For complete information on immigration and application requirements, consult the Government of Canada website.
You may also contact UAlberta's International Student Services for advice at email@example.com
SEND OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS
Your application will be processed for final admission once we have received original official documentation of your complete academic record.
To retain your admission offer, ensure that all required documents are submitted by the deadline to meet the conditions specified in your offer.
Documents must be sent to the Registrar’s Office directly from the authorized issuing institution.
AFTER YOU'RE ADMITTED
Admission decision letters: The Office of the Registrar is moving to a paperless system for distributing admission decision letters to applicants.
Effective October 1, 2014:
- Admission decisions will be provided electronically, in Bear Tracks. Students will no longer receive a printed letter from the Registrar’s Office that informs them of their admission decision.
- Students will receive an email notifying them when an admission decision is made and available in Bear Tracks. Students will be able to view, download or print the document at their discretion.
- The document shall be considered official documentation from the University of Alberta, whether in print or digital form.
- Note: Some faculties and departments may continue to send official correspondences via printed letters.
When you receive an offer of admission, you must accept your offer, and pay a $500 tuition deposit, in order to confirm your admission to the U of A and become eligible to register in courses.
You will receive an email to your @ualberta account notifying you when an admission decision has been posted in Bear Tracks. You will also be notified when you are eligible to log in and accept your offer.